Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Amazing Ross


Ross is amazing. He can say his ABC's backwards without missing a beat. He can count to 100...by 10's. He hears a song twice and he'll have it memorized. He's AMAZING. This particular story is particularly amazing though...

After I heard the words, "he has signs of Autism," I knew exactly where to start with my reading. Jenny McCarthy. I had seen her all over the media and I knew her book would be the perfect place to start. It would be easy to digest and, besides, she's the mommy. Not some therapist or doctor.

So I picked up Ross from school and we made our way to the bookstore. With or without a diagnosis of Autism, I knew this little excursion was iffy all by myself. So as soon as we got in there, I went straight to the little computer to look up where exactly I would find this book. When the book first came out it was everywhere, but it had been a while, so I knew I only had a little window of time to look for it.

Ross watched me look it up and I told him, "this is the book we are looking for." We toodled over the section and we started to look. I looked and looked and looked. No luck. I swear, I still can't figure out how they organize their books: by author, subject, title??!?!

I was starting to get antsy because I knew that Ross only had maybe two more minutes in him and then he would be off and running...so I turned around and to say something to him and he was sitting on the floor reading a book. I thought, "hmmm, that book looks familiar." I got a little closer and I took a look at what he was reading, and it was Jenny McCarthy's, Louder than Words. Ross found it!! I was laughing for days. He found the book for me, now how am I going to get him out of here!

The AMAZING Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment