Monday, June 15, 2009

Ross puts the AWE in Autism


"I want a piece of round bread!"

It took Ross about 20 times telling me this before I realized he wanted one of his glazed gluten free donuts. It was as if I were torturing him. So in order for me to stay true to making him eat something halfway healthy (being the good mom that I am), I made him eat a piece of his gluten free bread before I'd give him the prized donut.

After many dramatic, yet small, bites of his bread, I finally gave in and gave him the donut. He instantly charged out of the kitchen in a big grump.

I was nonplussed since this is not a new phenomenon at our house and so I sat back down at the computer desk to organize some paperwork. A few seconds later, a little head peaked around the corner and said, "I love you."

Ross toodled over to me, grabbed my arm, leaned against my shoulder and cuddled with all smiles. I kissed his little head and thought about how far we've come. How wonderful. He then looked up at me and announced, "How 'bout we hug the donut?" Yes, Ross, let's do that! This, of course, made me laugh out loud!

He toodled out of the room and we went about the evening. Bathtime. Storytime. Bedtime.

With Ross sound asleep, I started straightening up and I found the uneaten "round bread" on the coffee table — with all of the glaze sucked off!

Ross really does put the AWE in autism. And don't think for a second that I didn't eat the rest of that darn donut!

No comments:

Post a Comment